Monday, June 15, 2015

Happy Anniversary, Svengoolie


One of my favorite childhood memories was watching classic horror movies with my dad on Friday nights.  An independent television station out of Dallas-Fort Worth would broadcast Weird Theater at 9:00.  Staying up late and watching horror films was a big deal to a nine year old in those days.  I remember the first movie we watched together, Dracula’s Daughter (1936) starring Gloria Holden, Otto Kruger, Irving Pichel and Edward Van Sloan.  There would be many more films, but like your first love, your first horror film always holds a special place in your heart.
My first encounter with  America's favorite horror show host occurred many moons later.  One Saturday evening while  I was recovering from open heart surgery,  I was scanning the broadcast schedule from a cable provider when I  ran across a listing for Dracula’s Daughter.    I flipped over to Me-TV and watched as some goofy guy called Svengoolie  popped out of a coffin, I remember thinking  “What the Hell is this."
  I have to admit I was not impressed at first.   But I continued to watch and halfway through the broadcast I was hooked. I have been a fan ever since and I have the t-shirt, buttons and a Svengoolie figure sitting on my desk to prove it. Now four years later I can count on one hand how many shows I have missed.  Not only has Svengoolie entertained me, he has inspired me as well.  My blog Fright Film Geek is the direct result of that inspiration.
So to Svengoolie I say happy anniversary.  Thanks for the laughs, the thrills, and the inspiration.  You’ve had a profound and positive influence on my life and for that I’m truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment